I Peter 2:1-3 says, "1 Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, 2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious." As believers it is absolutely vital that we grow and develop ourselves spiritually. John 4:24 says, "God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." God, who is a Spirit, always works with us and leads us by contacting our spirit. So, it is to be our goal to grow and become more spiritually sensitive to God in our heart or spirit.
If we continue to stay carnal and immature in our Christian walk, we will miss out on much the Lord has for us. Fortunately for us, God has provided Biblical principles we can learn that will help us to grow and train ourselves in spiritual things.
I want to give you four Biblical keys that you can use to help you to train your spirit to be more sensitive to God. These are proven truths that will work if you will study them and put them to work in your life. It's time to grow up spiritually, so get started today
How to Train the Human Spirit
Text: I Thessalonians 5:23 - spirit, soul, and body sanctified and preserved blameless
I) God Guides Us By Our Spirit
A) Proverbs 20:27 - Candle of the Lord is man’s spirit. God enlightens us through our spirit.
B) Romans 8:14-16 - As sons of God, we are to be led by the Spirit of God.
II) How We Can Train Our Spirit to be Sensitive to God
A) Give the Word First Place
1) John 6:63—God’s Word is spirit food.
2) Psalm 119:130—God’s Word gives light and understanding to us.
3) Proverbs 4:20-22—When we put the Word first over flesh, circumstances, or problems, the Word will produce life and health in us.
B) Meditate in the Word
1) Joshua 1:8—Meditation in the Word of God will bring success and cause us to prosper.
A) Meditate—(to mutter) Speak the Word to yourself.
2) I Timothy 4:14-15—Meditate upon who you are in Christ. Meditate upon your calling and what God has told you to do. It will cause you to profit and people will see the difference.
C) Practice the Word - Be a doer of the Word
1) James 1:21, 22-25—We must receive the Word, and practice the Word.
v. 25—Only by continuing with the Word, and doing it, will we reap the blessing.
2) Hebrews 4:1-2—Mix faith with the Word.
D) Instantly Obey Your Spirit
1) Romans 9:1—“...my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost.”
2) Romans 8:14-16—The Holy Spirit bears witness with our spirit. Follow the witness of the Spirit and you won’t go wrong.